In 2018 Scotland puts its young people (with a focus on 8-26 year olds) in the spotlight, celebrating their talents, contributions and creating new opportunities for them to shine.
The Year of Young People 2018 (YOYP) is a year-long programme of events, activities and ideas that will give young people in Scotland the opportunity to show the world what they are made of.
Year of Young People 2018 is led by the Scottish Government, working in collaboration with a core group of delivery partners including VisitScotland, EventScotland, Young Scot, Children in Scotland, Scottish Youth Parliament, Creative Scotland and YouthLink Scotland.
* Provide a platform for young people to have their views heard and acted upon
* Showcase the amazing talents of young people through events and media
* Develop better understanding, co-operation and respect between generations
* Recognise the impact of teachers, youth workers and other supporting adults on young people’s lives
* Provide opportunities for young people to express themselves through culture, sport and other activities
* Health and Wellbeing
* Equality and Discrimination
* Enterprise and Regeneration
VisitScotland and EventScotland, part of the VisitScotland Events Directorate are leading a programme of activity focusing on the development of public-facing celebratory events programmes and a tourism marketing strategy.
In addition to showcasing the amazing talents of young people through events and media and providing opportunities for young people to express themselves through culture, sport and other activities, five tourism objectives will be central to the year:
Celebrating the contribution of young Scots to the cultural and creative life of Scotland.
Inspiring young people and families with children to engage with the activities and experiences Scotland has to offer.
Working with partners to ensure that Scotland is an inclusive, welcoming destination where holidays and events can be enjoyed by all.
Engaging young people directly in the development of the Themed Year programme and, more widely, working to highlight tourism as a career path. Find out how you can tap into Scotland’s young talent here.
Encouraging the tourism and events industry, alongside key sector partners, to work collaboratively in support of the Year of Young People 2018.
For more information about what is planned see the Visit Scotland website at