As the temperature drops and frost begins to appear, it is only natural to dream of your winter holiday. Be it with friends, family or partner, a countryside getaway is ideal to relax and take a break from work. Here’s a list of events and activities you just cannot miss this season:
- Sports and activities. Low temperatures are not an excuse for being lazy, especially when there are so many leisure centres that offer dozens of fun activities for the whole family. Have you considered wall climbing? Do you prefer a nice swim instead? Either way, the McLaren Centre, The Peak and Perth Leisure Centre can give you a wide range of options to pick from. But if you wish to enjoy the beautiful outdoors, worry not: the Scots know how to make the most of their winter days. In fact, the short sunlight hours only make outdoor activities more interesting: night kayak trips are perfect for stargazing, and if you are looking for a thrill, why not jump under a pitch black sky at Highland Fling Bungee?
- Christmas markets and Fairs. ‘Tis the season to be jolly, so wear your fuzziest jumper, your warmest scarf and follow the smell of gingerbread. Edinburgh’s Christmas Markets are the most famous for sure, but do not underestimate the charm of all the smaller, less crowded local fairs like the ones in Perth, Stirling, Crieff and Comrie.
- Theatre nights. There is nothing better than a great play on a cold winter night. Pick your favourite between live events or screenings at the local cinemas (many of them also participate in the National Theatre Live initiative, like Vue cinemas, The MacRoberts Centre, Perth Playhouse).
- SPA days. Saunas, steam rooms and massages have a therapeutic effect on body and mind. Plan your SPA day or book an appointment for a simple facial or a manicure.
- Father Christmas. This is the busiest time of the year for Santa Claus, and he is looking forward to meeting his little fans. ‘Meet Santa’ events take place in most towns in the area, such as Stirling, Perth, and if you are looking for something slightly different, you can head out to the Bo’ness Railway.
Other useful links
- Stirling and Perth have great winter programmes, which include fairs, markets and live events.
- If you are a passionate hiker, check out Munro Drone for some Munro bagging inspiration.
- Have you considered skiing and snowboarding? Glencoe is the perfect destination for a day trip.
- Contact Aquila Ecology’s Andrea and Terry for wonderful guided wildlife walks all year round.