St. Fillans

St. Fillans (Gaelic name: ‘Am Port Mòr’) is a small village in Perthshire, situated at the eastern end of Loch Earn, on the road to Comrie.  A small settlement, known as a clachan in Scotland has existed here for many years. In the 18th century it was known as Port of Lochearn or Meikleport and renamed St. Fillans (the name it retains to this day) in 1817 by Lord Gwydr, husband of the heiress to Drummond Estate.

With fantastic views of Loch Earn and a quiet village atmosphere this is a wonderful location for a Scottish retreat. As well as natural beauty, such as the 6km long loch, the village also has a long history, traces of which can still be seen. Perthshire itself contains many historical sites such as castles, churches and libraries.

The St. Fillans Chapel, now ruined, is the traditional resting place of the Stewarts of Ardvorlich and evidence suggests the chapel dates back to at least the 1300’s. Some suggest its origins may even lie with the original Pictish settlers on this site. The Iron Age Pictish hill fort of Dundurn is believed to have been the home of Irish missionary Saint Fillan, who gave the town its modern name.

Quick Search

Accommodation In St. Fillans

Things to Do in St. Fillans


Golf – Historic 9-hole course in beautiful surroundings.

Fishing – Permits are available for fishing on Loch Earn from the village shop.

Cycling – Find the Route 7 cycle path at the other end of Loch Earn.

Walking – Cross the river to find a walking trail. Ben Vorlich is a short drive from the village with a wild garden to enjoy on the route up.

Bliss Trail – Winner of the Scottish Thistle Award trail with various art installations mapped around the four neighbouring villages: Balquhidder, Lochearnhead, Strathyre and St. Fillans. Fish Out Of Water and Craggan Croc (Crocodile Rock) are two of the sculptures found in St. Fillans.

St. Fillans Chapel – The ruins of the old chapel are said to date from at least the 1300’s but possibly even earlier, back to Pictish times.

St. Fillans (Am Port Mòr)

As well as these historical sites, St. Fillans also inspired one of Scotland’s greatest authors. Allt Ghoinean burn, believed to be the Gonan or Monan of The Lady of the Lake by Sir Walter Scott. The surrounding natural beauty of rural Perthshire is beloved of wildlife and nature photographers.

A large hydro-electric power station at St. Fillans is fed by a dam high above the village at Loch Lednock.

St. Fillans boasts a number of activities: The golf course dates from 1903, and offers a great challenge over its 9-holes; fishing permits are available for Loch Earn, and boat fishing is possible on the loch; there are walking and cycling routes nearby; and a short drive will bring visitors to the towns of Lochearnhead to the west or Comrie to the north.

The St. Fillans Dragon and the St Fillans Toad, painted stone statues, lie on the A85 just to the east of the village.

Did you know? In 2005 a local developer changed his plans to remove a large rock from his building site. The reason: It would disturb the fairies said to dwell there, an old myth from the Pictish era.