St. Fillans (Gaelic name: ‘Am Port Mòr’) is a small village at the eastern end of Loch Earn, on the road to Comrie. A small settlement, known as a clachan in Scotland has existed here for many years. In the 18th century it was known as Port of Lochearn or Meikleport and renamed St. Fillans (the name it retains to this day) in 1817 by Lord Gwydr, husband of the heiress to Drummond Estate.
With fantastic views of Loch Earn and a quiet village atmosphere this is a wonderful location for a Scottish retreat. As well as natural beauty, such as the 6km long loch, the village also has a long history, traces of which can still be seen.
The St. Fillans Chapel, now ruined, is the traditional resting place of the Stewarts of Ardvorlich and evidence suggests the chapel dates back to at least the 1300’s. Some suggest its origins may even lie with the original Pictish settlers on this site. The Iron Age Pictish hill fort of Dundurn is believed to have been the home of Irish missionary Saint Fillan, who gave the town its modern name.